The remains of the synagogue, which was destroyed during an air raid in 1944, were torn down in the mid-1950s. The memorial to the deportations was set up in 1988 on the location of the former synagogue on the initiative of the Berlin Senate. Two architects, Jürgen Wenzel and Theseus Bappert as well as sculptor Peter Herbrich, erected a stylised deportation ramp with a freight car and a steel wall on which the departure dates of all the transports are inscribed. On the ramps and inside the freight car are marble figures depicting groups of humans tied together. Additionally, metal plaques on the ground on the site of the former synagogue entrance show reliefs of the synagogues which once used to stand in Berlin.
Berlin Memorials >