The memorial at Track 17 Grundewald station commeorates the deportation of some 50,000 Jews from this site by the Deutsche Reichsbahn between 1941 and 1945. It was inaugurated on 27th January 1998 by the Deutsche Bahn AG.
The memorial was designed by a team of architects - Hirsch, Lorch and Wandel as the result of a competition. It is made up of 186 cast steel bars embedded in the gravel along track 17 - these referr to the number of transports that left Berlin, Inscribed on them are the dates of the transports, the number of deportees as well as the train's route. Approx 160 metres of the loading bay have also been reconstructed.
Over 50,000 Jews perished following their deportation from Berlin. Many of the transports were destined for the ghettos in Theresienstadt, Minsk, Riga, Kaunas and Łódź. From July 1942 several transports went directly to Auschwitz-Birkenau and other death camps. About 500 Jews from cities and communities in the vicinity of the capital were also deported from Berlin.
Before this main memorial there had been plaques, the first of which appeared in 1973 and was mounted on the wall of the freight dispatch building at the station. Then on 18th October 1987, the anniversary of the first deportation members of the protestant community in Grunewald had a bronze plaque mounted on railway sleepers.
Finally, in 1991 the Land of Berlin erected a monument by the Polish sculptor Karol Broniatowski beside the entrance from the station concourse to the loading sidings at the freight station. It is an 18-metre concrete block with embedded silhouettes of deportees.
Karol Broniatowski's voided figures
In November 2011 Polish artist Lukasz Surawiez brought 320 trees from Auschwitz Birkenau concentration camp and planted them across Berlin as part of the 7th Bienalle for contemporary art. 'To work against fogetting'